Sunday, July 18, 2010

To Clean or Not to Clean ;)

"but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
I Peter 3:4

I've still been mulling over the thought that someone asked me of how to get housework done when you plain just don't like to do it ;) Maybe someone reading this has an answer to this question: Where do you find motivation when you would just rather do something else?





I've come up with a few answers to that question myself. I think there are multiple answers, and the one that clicks for you probably just depends on your personality type. The truth is, unless you're a weirdo like me, you probably don't think of cooking, cleaning, organizing, or dishes as something to do for fun. Here are some of the things that I like to keep in mind that help me find satisfaction in caring for my home:





I like to think of the individual jobs around the house collectively. You know, not just piles of dishes and bags of garbage that need to be taken out, but as everything adding up to 'keeping a house.' Not only that, but keeping it as a gift for John. Does that make sense? I don't keep the house clean for myself, but for John, yes. It means more than we as women know to give our husbands the gift of a clean, peaceful, organized, warm, welcoming home to come home to at night. Even if we work fulltime out of the house as well, it still boils down to it being our jobs to keep a home for our husbands. That doesn't mean they can't share some of the load of the work, since we share the load of bringing in the paycheck, but we are still the only ones with the nesting instinct. (Yeah, I don't really like comparing myself to a bird either, but hey, that's the best way to describe it in English ;) Both my husband and my dad, in multiple conversations I've had with each of them, have pressed the thought of how much it means to them when we work so hard to give them a peaceful home.





Talking about Love Languages, I think each gender might be a little more prone to certain ones, and I think for men, acts of service are a real winner. If all I do all day is take care of his baby, wash his clothes, and cook his dinner, I am the best and most beautiful woman in the world! Not that he doesn't also need words of affirmation and all those other love languages, but I'm just saying: there's something about it that really means a lot. There are some things in life that God just straight-up ordained to be a certain way, and a woman caring for her husband's house and children is just one of them. I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'm just sharing my heart here.



Beyond all that, something else my mom told me is to live as though you are preparing for Jesus to be a guest in your home. I like that. Makes me feel as if my life, my home, has some dignity. If the Lord Himself would take the time to come and visit me, of course I would want to please Him. And we all the truth is that He is here. All the time.



I know this post might seem like a bunch of mismatched thoughts somehow strung together, but here's another one ;) For many years, I felt as though housework was something I just had to get done and out of the way so that I could get on to the important things in my life. Am I the only one that feels that way? I almost felt guilty, like I should be on a mission trip somewhere, or out working and making money with a real job, or you know, just something more important than washing underwear. I was trying to think what it was exactly that changed my thought process about it all, and I think part of it was Alivia. Housework isn't an option anymore. John would still love me even if the house was a mess, and we could both live there whether or not we had to step over piles on the floor. Alivia, on the other hand, can't. She deserves to live in a home that is not only safe for her little hands, but that is organized enough to allow her to find the toys and whatever else she needs to have a happy little life. I was blessed enough to have one of the happiest childhood's I think a child could ever have, and I feel very strongly that I have the responsiblity to give the same thing to her. And now, instead of cleaning because I have to, I am creating a better, safer, happier life for the most precious girl I could ever imagine having.



Ok, please just let me add one more thought to this looong post ;) My personal belief is that the environment that we live in directly reflects the environment of our hearts and of our minds. I have noticed that in the days/months/years/seasons of my life that I have felt crazy busy, out of control, or far from the Lord, my home/car/room (even purse!) suffered from severe negligence. Maybe you are different. But for me, if you walk into my bedroom and find the bed made, windows open blowing fresh air into the house, and the laundry is done and put away, then you can bet a million bucks that I also spent a good amount of time with the Lord that day. You can bet that I spent time in prayer, in organizing my thoughts, and in thinking of others instead of my own issues. When my life is organized, so is my mind, and I find I spend a lot less time getting emotional and whining at John or fussing to God over little things. I know it seems overly simplistic, but it's the God made us. The two (practical organization and spiritual organization) go hand-in-hand.)



Here I go again recommending books: "More Hours In My Day," by Emilie Barnes. She shares some really, really good ideas about how to actually create time and money by living in an organized way. She's really creative and makes organizing your life fun. One of the most imporant things I took away from the book was that of having a gentle and quiet spirit. She said everyday, no matter how hellish her own day with the kids was, she made it a point to run up to her husband when he got home and hug his neck, ask him about his day, and let him have some regroup time. Again, it changed my life.

Love you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment